In Phlebology 2012 there was as study published, where the effect of using compression stockings – that is below knee socks, with a low compression level. Hairdressers are a group of people working in a profession, which requires standing for a prolonged time.
- Group A wore the stockings for 3 weeks and then not for the next three weeks during work time
- Group B did not wear the stockings for the 3 weeks and then they did for the next 3 weeks during work time
- All participants were screened on Day 0, 21 and 42
- 108 mixed sex, older than 18 years hairdressers participated in the study
- 83% of the participants had no venous pathology apart from teleangiectasias or reticular veins prior to participating the study
- 84% complained of tired legs before the study
- The stockings were put on in the morning before work and taken off in the evening after work
The results were:
- Less pain and reduced feelings of swelling
- Less sleep disturbance
- Unattractive legs less of a concern
- Less lower leg volume by an average of 19 ml (this was particularly observed in older people)
At Happy Feet Pedorthics, when it comes to the fitting people for shoes – look at the feet, you see the hands, and when you look at the ankles you see the legs!
Clare Nelson C Ped CM Au