…. Swollen feet?
….. tired aching feet?
….. and a feeling of heaviness in the legs?
Pregnancy is a very unique time for a woman’s body. The change in hormones and the expansion of the uterus can affect the leg veins. 30% of women pregnant for the first time and 55% of women who have had 2 or more full time pregnancies develop varicose veins.*
Given the facts, at Happy Feet Pedorthics we recommend wearing safe, good looking comfortable footwear along with compression socks or stockings because varicose veins:
- are not cosmetically aesthetic
- disturb a woman’s wellbeing during pregnancy
- constitute a risk of inflammation and thrombosis
- place a great strain on circulation for the mother and baby
- may relate to premature contractions (ie this cannot be excluded)
Wearing compression stockings during pregnancy:
- prevents blood from pooling in the veins
- reduces the risk of an elevated heart rate in the mother and child
- reduces the risk of varicose veins, inflammation and thrombosis
- alleviates common symptoms of swollen feet and ankles, or tired and achy legs
It is all very well but ….. they are hot, I would look like grandma, they are hard to put on, I don’t like them, not with sandals? – I don’t think so!
All we can say is: keep beautiful healthy legs beautiful and healthy!
At Happy Feet Pedorthics we have footwear for mothers to be and options in compression:
- maternity pantyhose with a wide soft smooth waistband and elastic tummy with at front that grows with baby
- thigh length stockings
- calf length socks
all in a beautiful choice of colours including soft pink, blue, grey, skin and marine.
*Swiss Medical Weekly 2001: 131:659-662
Clare Nelson C Ped CM AU